Mega Millions FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions about the Mega Millions Lottery
- 1. When and where do the Mega Millions draws take place?
- 2. When was Mega Millions launched?
- 3. Does Mega Millions have a guaranteed minimum jackpot amount?
- 4. How do I win playing Mega Millions?
- 5. Can I enter Mega Millions if I live outside a participating State or Jurisdiction?
- 6. If I win, how long do I have to claim my prize?
- 7. How old do I have to be to play?
- 8. Are Mega Millions winnings taxed?
- 9. Does Mega Millions have a rollover limit or jackpot cap?
- 10. Where can I see the latest winning Mega Millions numbers?
- 11. What is the Megaplier?
- 12. How do I identify a lottery scam?
- 13. How do I claim Mega Millions winnings?
- 14. What are the odds of winning a Mega Millions prize?
- 15. What is the largest Mega Millions jackpot ever won?
- 16. Where can I watch the Mega Millions drawing live?
- 17. How many states participate in Mega Millions?
- 18. What time do Mega Millions ticket sales close?
- 19. Where can I find the latest Mega Millions statistics?
- 20. What are the payout options for winning the jackpot?
- 21. What is Just the Jackpot?
- 22. When did the Mega Millions game format change?
- 23. What are the most common Mega Millions numbers?
- 24. What is the current Mega Millions jackpot?
- 25. What happens if I win the jackpot?
1. When do the Mega Millions draws take place?
Draws take place twice a week on a Tuesday and Friday night at 23.00 ET in Atlanta, Georgia.
2. When was Mega Millions launched?
Mega Millions launched in 1996 as ‘The Big Game’ with just six participating states. In 2002, its name was changed to Mega Millions and an increasing number of states have joined the game since that time.
3. Does Mega Millions have a guaranteed minimum jackpot amount?
Yes. The guaranteed minimum jackpot is $40 million.
4. How do I win playing Mega Millions?
There are nine winning prize tiers in Mega Millions, with prizes awarded for matching just the Mega Ball. To win the jackpot, a player must match all five main numbers plus the Mega Ball drawn. View the prizes available and odds of winning on the Mega Millions Prizes page.
5. Can I enter Mega Millions if I live outside a participating State or Jurisdiction?
You can pick your numbers online from all over the world, regardless of your location.
6. If I win, how long do I have to claim my prize?
Claim periods vary from state to state and are between 180 days and a year. Check the claim period for your state here. Players are also advised to check the rules of the state where the ticket was purchased as prizes not claimed within the specified time period will expire.
7. How old do I have to be to play Mega Millions?
The minimum age to play Mega Millions varies from state to state and is between 18 and 21. Players wishing to purchase tickets online must be aged 18 or over.
8. Are Mega Millions winnings taxed?
Yes. Jackpot winnings are subject to both state and federal taxes which vary from state to state. Find out how much tax you would pay if you won a Mega Millions prize by visiting the Taxes page.
9. Does Mega Millions have a rollover limit or jackpot cap?
No. Mega Millions does not have a rollover limit or jackpot cap and will continue to roll over until a player matches all five main numbers and the MegaBall drawn.
10. Where can I see the latest winning Mega Millions numbers?
Find the winning numbers and a prize breakdown for each draw by visiting the dedicated page.
11. What is the Megaplier?
The Megaplier is an additional game which is offered at $1 per line, boosting the value of any non-jackpot prizes. Take a look at the Megaplier prizes here and you can see examples of Megaplier winners on the dedicated page. Players should be aware that the Megaplier is not available in California, as State law requires all lottery prizes to be pari-mutuel.
12. How do I identify a lottery scam?
If you have received a letter, email, phone call, or text message saying that you have won a large amount of money and you havenвЂ™t purchased a lottery ticket, then it is a scam and you should not respond with any details. Scams can be reported to your stateвЂ™s attorney general. Read more about scams.
13. How do I claim Mega Millions winnings?
Prizes must be claimed in the state where your ticket was purchased. If you played online, non-jackpot prizes are paid into your account. If you win the jackpot, you will be contacted by a representative after the numbers have been checked and you will then be guided through the claims process.
14. What are the odds of winning a Mega Millions prize?
The overall odds of winning a prize are 1 in 24. Find out more about Mega Millions prizes and odds by visiting the dedicated page.
15. What is the largest Mega Millions jackpot ever won?
The biggest jackpot won was $1.537 billion on October 23rd 2018 and it was scooped by a single ticket purchased in Simpsonville, South Carolina. Take a look at some of the other biggest Mega Millions winners here.
16. Where can I watch the Mega Millions drawing live?
Mega Millions drawings and results are broadcast through many TV stations, including; WSB-TV 2 in Atlanta, CBS-8 in California and WABC-7 in New York.
17. How many states participate in Mega Millions?
At present, 44 states and two jurisdictions, Washington D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands, participate.
18. What time do Mega Millions ticket sales close?
For tickets purchased through a retailer, the cut off time for purchases varies from state to state so please check with the lottery provider in your jurisdiction.
19. Where can I find the latest Mega Millions statistics?
Find the latest statistical information including the most common numbers and most overdue numbers on the Mega Millions Statistics page.
20. What are the payout options for winning the jackpot?
If you win a Mega Millions jackpot, you will have the choice of receiving your winnings as a cash payout or as an annuity. You can learn about the two different options on the Cash vs Annuity page.
21. What is Just the Jackpot?
Just the Jackpot gives players two chances at winning the jackpot, rather than one. The price of Just the Jackpot ticket is $3 for two plays. Players must select five main numbers from 1 to 70 and one Mega Ball number from 1 to 25 to enter the drawings. If you choose the Just the Jackpot option, you will not be able to win secondary prizes that range from $2 to $1 million. You can learn more about Mega Millions Prizes on the dedicated page.
22. When did the Mega Millions game format change?
The most recent mega millions rules changes were implemented on October 28th and the first drawing under the new rules took place on October 31st. Find out more about changes on the Mega Millions Changes page.
23. What are the most common Mega Millions numbers?
The most common winning Mega Millions numbers are available on the Statistics page.
24. What is the current Mega Millions jackpot?
The next Mega Millions jackpot is an estimated $20,000,000.
25. What happens if I win the jackpot?
If you win the Mega Millions jackpot, you can find out the steps to take to claim your winnings and how to protect your new fortune here.
Material Copyright © 2021 Mega-Millions.com
Players must be 18 or over to participate in online lotteries.
Read the answers to all the most frequently asked Mega Millions questions, such as how many balls you need to match to win a prize and what you need to win the jackpot.